Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Put an blue filler on the dagger board

I did not had much time this weekend to work on the boat because we did some sailing again. I first did sand the first layer of filler before I put the blue filler on it. Nico made a pdf for me with the profiles of the dagger board so that I only had to cut it out and transfer it to some triplex to get the profile right in the middle section were the carbon UD canal was.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

put some filler in the UD channel of the daggerboard

I started in the morning with first some extra carbon pieces to fill the channel more and I then put some glass bubble / aeroseal putty filler on it and I finally put a peel ply on it. I than started sanding the white primer. In the afternoon I gave the boat a second layer of white primer on spots where was not enough. After a tea break I started with painting the underside of the cockpit floor inside. The corner needed some extra paint to get it completely white.

Friday, August 19, 2016

laminating the daggerboard second stage

In the morning I did some sanding and in the afternoon we did the second stage of laminating of UD on the daggerboard. Next phase will be filling the rest of slot for the UD so that it has the profile. It is now a little under the profile. When the vacuum was turned on we had a tea break and after that Fetske did leave and I did gave the complete underside a white primer coating.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Airmar flush mount

I took some hours free to get an airmar flush mount. When I did get home I directly installed it in the hull. I first drilled a hole with a hole saw and I the routed the top away so the flush mount is completely flush with the outside of the hull. I glued it in place with some HD putty. The inside must have some extra foam, but that will be done later as the boat is turned back.

Monday, August 15, 2016

preparing for the next fase

I took the afternoon free to work on the daggerboard again. Fetske was at home to so we did the job together. We started with unpacking the daggerboard and making the table free for cutting the many carbon UD pieces. This did take some time +/-2 hours, after the tea break Fetske went home and I did cut the edges of the daggerboard clean. As last job I cut the mold for the recess in pieces to get it away. And the anode fits very nice and sticks only a bit outside the hull as planned.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

laminating the daggerboard first stage

In the morning we did cut six layers of UD carbon for each side . I first thought that I had to put two layers of biaxial but it had to be one and then the UD. We only do 6 of the total of 17 layers 300gr UD because it will be too thick and you get too much head build up. In the afternoon we laminated one layer biaxial 400gr and the six layers UD and put it under vacuum materials. Next time we will do the rest of the UD layers and when that is dry we make the profile perfect before we put another layer of biaxial on it. The plan is than to make a mold of the two halves before we put them together. On the end I laminated the recess for the Isotherm SP. and did some small filling of some spots.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

preparing for laminating the daggerboard

I first started to do some sanding on the daggerboard and I made some filled of foam and putty in the corners where the profile ends and goes over in the piece what stays in the daggerboard case. I also sanded the sharp corners so that laminated can better follow the profile. In the afternoon we prepared the vacuum table, this has to be extended because the daggerboard is 2,92 m long. We also cut the necessary pieces to laminated the daggerboard tomorrow. On the end I did some sanding of yesterday's filling.

Friday, August 12, 2016

started with the daggerboard

In the morning I started with gluing some foam pieces of the foil together because the foil was to long to make in one piece. Nico did route the profile for me out of the foam in steps of a millimeter so that I only have to sand it till all is smooth. I then went to the main hull to sand that fine so we could fill pin and small holes in the afternoon. After that I started with sanding the profile of the daggerboard and to make the laminating table longer for the daggerboard. In the afternoon we started first to glue the top end of the dagger board to the foil piece.
We then did some filling of some pin holes on the main hull. On the end I filled some screw holes in the foam of the daggerboard. The were there to hold it in place while the router was shaping the foam.